Grace Like Rain

Last night I sat out on the front porch waiting for it to rain. It hasn't rained here in weeks and it's showing. While I sat there on the wooden swing feeling the breeze push my hair onto my face I pondered the concept of grace like rain. I've observed that right before it storms the leaves curl their edges up like a delicate dish. Then the wind begins to brush through the trees and the air warms up like bath water. Then after a few rustling winds blow over, all is calm. It feels as if the whole world is completely still for a moment. Then the rain comes.

But how is grace like rain?
Grace is like rain because rain is free. We can't do anything to get it, yet we don't have to. Grace, just like a thunderstorm, is enough to cover everything. There is no field or hill hidden from it and all have their fill of it.9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.  (2 Corinthians 12:9-10, New International Version)

Last night I sat outside for almost an hour and no rain. I knew it was coming for certain but I didn't know when.

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." - Hebrews 11:1

It hasn't rained yet, but I know it will...

No comments:

Post a Comment