Watching For God

The Prayer of Faith

Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops.
My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring that person back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins. - James 5:13-20

Prayer is an essential aspect of a relationship with God. It allows us to express our feelings and thoughts to a God who is big enough to handle them. Though we often pray to God seeking him to grant our requests, prayer has a greater purpose than that. Through prayer God transforms our hearts and minds. I think an example of this might be this excerpt from 2 Corinthians Chapter 9...

"Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!" - 2 Corinthians 9:13-15

Tonight I spent some much needed time talking with God. We had a long conversation. Mostly I poured my heart out to him about everything. I shared my joys, sorrows, confessions, confusions, questions, worries, and fears, along with many requests. At the end of our conversation I don't think it was God who was changed, but rather me. After my long talk with God, I felt better. In fact, I felt at peace because I knew that my God cares for me. I know that he won't let me down. Even if things don't turn out the way that I had hoped or wanted, I know that God is faithful. He works everything out for the Good of those who love him who have been called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28). So, although I don't always know what I am doing or where I am going, though I may have doubts and confusion about many things, it's alright because God is faithful. I don't have to know because he knows. I don't have to know because I DO know that wherever I am there he is with me. No matter what may happen, I am not alone. 

Tonight I encourage you to pray. Tell God what you are thinking and feeling. He  can take it. After all he's a big guy. Let him know what's up with you, I assure you it will lead to good things. Pray and then watch for God's work in your life. He's there, I assure you.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." - Matthew 21:22
"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Mark 11:24 
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment