Truth

Today I answered the door and two girls about my age stood at the top of the steps. They introduced themselves and their reason for standing at my doorstep. They wanted to share with me about God and the Bible. They were very sweet to me and gave me a small book titled "What the Bible really says". I thanked them and they asked if they could come by again, I told them that they could. After they left, I sat back down in the living room and began to skim through the little book they gave me. I was not sure if they were Mormons or Jehovah Witnesses. As I browsed through a bit of the book, I concluded that they were Jehovah Witnesses because the term Jehovah is the main name they used for God. I wanted to accept the book from them so that I could understand more about what they believe. Reading the book, I came across many differences in what I believe compared to what the book was telling me. I discovered some very interesting thoughts and challenged myself to consider them for a moment. I concluded that although the book contained mostly truth from the Bible, the false information it has is significant. 

After going through the little book, I decided that I would read from my daily devotional e-mail (Proverbs 31 Ministries: Mistaken Identity). At the top of the page it says, "He who belongs to God hears what God says." John 8:47a (NIV 1984) I was comforted by this because I hope that the girls at my doorstep hear God. I pray that they know the truth and that it will set them free. I pray God will show them the way. 

John 8:31-33 
"To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?” 

Psalm 25:4-6 
"Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old."

Proverbs 30:7-9
“Two things I ask of you, Lord; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."

No comments:

Post a Comment