Sibling Rivalry

Today I came across one of my old Bibles and tonight I decided to read from it. As I was flipping through the pages I decided to turn to a Thursday devotional and read what it had for that day. The passage automatically caught my attention because it was the same one my pastor had just preached about on Sunday. Here it is...

 38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

   41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”  (Luke 10:38-42, New International Version)

The little devotional reads...
"Sometimes when my sister and I are supposed to do the dishes, she'll make some lame excuse to get out of it. I get so mad when she does that! I worry about whether or not she's doing her fair share of the work. So when I first looked at these verses, I totally agreed with Martha.
But really, this passage isn't about doing dishes or cooking or any other chores. It's about remembering what's really important in life, and that's spending time with Jesus. I might worry that my sister doesn't spend enough time in the kitchen, but I know I dont' spend enough time reading my Bible or praying. So i guess until I get my own priorities in order I really can't complain too much about my sister's. Maybe if I keep spending more time with Jesus, I won't get so mad at little things like doing the dishes."

No comments:

Post a Comment