One Night Homeless

Last night there was a sleep-out event on campus for the homeless. I decided to do this because I thought it would be a good way to fulfill my community service hours for class. However, by the end of the night that I spent homeless class was not my focus.


At 11:30pm, I suited up to spend a night like the homeless. I had on a T-shirt, a SAU sweatshirt, a fall coat, a scarf, a pair of gloves thanks to my girls, and a pair of jeans with tennis shoes. At 11:38pm, I walked out the door and headed to the clock tower where I heard the event was supposed to be. As I approached, I noticed that no one was there which did not surprise me because it was probably about forty degrees and rainy. I decided that I would go and sit on a bench and spend some time soaking up God's word. Noticing that the bench was wet, I decided not to sit on it and instead lean up against the clock tower. I opened my devotional book reading by the light of the structure and right there under October 28 was a devo about poverty. The message was "The Theology of Enough", based on Luke 3:7-11. There it says if you have two coats, keep one and give the other to the poor. The author goes on to say, "God did not create too many people or not enough stuff. Poverty was not created by God, but you and me because we have not learned to love our neighbor as ourselves." - Sarah Arthur The One Year Daily Grind - As I thought about this it occurred to me that I was wearing a sweatshirt and a coat. Thus, I have two coats and I thought again, you know I have a few coats in my dorm room and some at home. Would I be willing if I encountered a real homeless person tonight to give up my coat? Would I have to be asked? Or would I just do it? I did not encounter a homeless person but I hope in the future when I do that I will be willing and God will help me to be selfless.

I think it was at about 12:30am when I walked toward the Library and saw others who were ready to bear the cold and the rain. As I came upon them and saw that they were prepared with sleeping bags and a tarp, I thought wow; they are really going to sleep out here. I greeted them and they welcomed me to sit with them. One of my classmates handed me a small, thin, fleece blanket that she had extra and invited me to sit in between everyone and keep warm. I thanked them and wondered if some homeless people really helped each other out like that. We talked for a while and then decided to go to sleep. For about an hour and 15min, as the others were sleeping, I tried shutting my eyes for a while. However, the cold weather was setting in. As I began to shiver, my heart went out to all the people who have to do this on a regular basis, no matter what the weather. I prayed for them as I experienced the cold that they would be warm. When I became cold and uncomfortable, because we were lounging on the cement, I prayed that God would bring comfort. That hour was probably one of the longest hours of my life. I stood up and began to walk back to my building around 2:15am. I hadn't realized that my body was that numb until I entered the doorway of my building and could feel everything inside me starts to thaw. Lastly, I went up the stairs, into my room, got ready for bed, and crawled under my warm blankets. I thanked God that I was fortunate to have a warm, safe place to sleep and then for a comfortable, clean bed. I never realized how much I took my bed full granted. I hope I never forget to thank God for my bed and pray for those who need one. 

P.S. I am thankful for those of you who were able to sleep out the whole night that is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment